Skin on or skin off - we all crave a nice crispy sear on our salmon. Right?! But sometimes, when cooking at home - it doesn't always pan out that way. So our culinary team came together to give you our best tips and tricks to keep in mind for getting that perfect salmon sear - EVERY TIME - because you deserve it!
- Use a cast iron skillet.
- Pat the salmon dry! Water is the enemy of a crispy sear.
- Heat the pan and then add the oil. Grapeseed oil is perfect for high heat searing.
- Score the skin if you are keeping it on. Skin shrinks when cooked. You score it to maintain the shape of the meat when it is cooking. Otherwise, the fillets will curl up.
- Always place the salmon in the pan skin side down in order to get the best crispness. If you have removed the skin, place the fillet into the pan, presentation side down. It will have the best browning.
- Put it in the pan and LEAVE it! For about 3-5 minutes - let it do its thing so you get a nice crispy finish on one side and then flip.