Sautéed Verlasso Salmon with Poached Farm Egg and Applewood Smoked Bacon on Sourdough
This dish is a delicious way to incorporate sautéed salmon into breakfast, lunch or dinner. Look for a crusty loaf of sourdough to provide a base for this recipe.
- 2 slices applewood smoked bacon
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 six to eight ounce Verlasso salmon fillets
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups arugula, cleaned and dried
- ¼ cup lemon olive oil, plus enough for drizzling
- 6 slices of sourdough bread, 1-inch thick, lightly oiled and broiled until golden brow
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the bacon slices on the sheet.
- Place the bacon in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until crisp. Remove from the baking sheet and blot with a paper towel.
- In a wide 3-quart heavy saucepan (about 10 inches wide), add enough water to just cover the egg (about 2 quarts) and add the vinegar. Bring to a simmer.
- Break 1 egg into a small bowl or cup and gently slide it into the simmering water. Repeat with each remaining egg, spacing them evenly in the saucepan, and poach at a bare simmer until the whites are firm and the yolks are still runny, about 2 to 3 minutes. When cooked, transfer the eggs with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Keep warm.
- Pat the salmon dry between paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a 12-inch non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over moderately high heat until hot, but not smoking. Sauté the salmon for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook the salmon for an additional 4 minutes. Turn the salmon and sauté over medium-high heat about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to sauté until just cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Slice each fillet gently with a serrated knife.
- In a medium bowl, toss the arugula with the lemon olive oil and season with salt and pepper taste.
- To serve, place the toasts on individual plates. Layer with the arugula, two bacon slices, slices of salmon and one poached egg. Drizzle with the lemon olive oil and season with freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve immediately.