Smoked Salmon Panzanella
Turn your fall harvest into the perfect salad. Packed with charred veggies and garlic bread, slices of smoked salmon, fresh tomatoes and basil are what put this salad on everyone's "make-again" list!
For the Salad
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, deveined and cut into 4 pieces
- 2 small Japanese eggplant, cut lengthwise into planks 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small yellow onion, cut crosswise into slices 1/4 inch thick
- 1 zucchini, cut crosswise into slices 1/4 inch thick
- 5 thick slices sourdough bread
- olive oil to brush vegetables and bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 medium garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup diced Verlasso Smoked Salmon
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Clean and oil grill.
- Brush pepper, eggplant, onion, and zucchini with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill vegetables over direct heat until tender, 4 to 6 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Brush bread slices with olive oil. Grill over direct heat until lightly toasted, turning once. Remove bread from grill and rub with the garlic clove lightly. Season bread with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut grilled vegetables and bread into 1/4 inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Add diced tomatoes and basil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Add to vegetable mixture and toss gently to coat. Fold in smoked salmon and parsley. Serve immediately.